Most low-cost travelers have faced the occasional moment of clarity when they questioned their wisdom in the use of low-cost flights. Those moments often come when your flight has just been canceled or you have just been hit with an account for the 300 grams of excess baggage that you had the misfortune to accumulate during your holidays.
In all honesty, there are plenty of shortcomings in the field of cheap flights, but there is no doubt that it has revolutionized the planet for countless thousands of ordinary people.
For many who live in large or remote countries they would never have had the opportunity to visit foreign countries had it not been for cheap flights.
And for those living in Europe, the entire region has become a potential destination for a long weekend.
The long and short distance travel market has expanded rapidly since the first innovators such as Ryan Air entered the scene at the end of the 90s. This brand new demographic of international travelers, although not without its drawbacks, is certainly expanding tourism opportunities around the world.
For Australians the entire Asian region has been opened with a series of low-cost flights [http://www.cheapest-flights.com.au] competing with each other to lower prices.
Local tour operators in places like the UK have turned out to be some of the biggest losers, as they are suddenly competing with Spain, Portugal and Italy for the weekend holiday market.
Where before the choice for the average English family was a weekend in Brighton or Portsmouth, now destinations like Amsterdam, Cairo and Prague are just a cheap flight. And they are proving irresistible with a record number of travelers taking the opportunity to fly internationally every year.
Some good tips for booking cheap flights:
- Always book in advance: the savings will always be maximum if you can book your ticket well in advance.
- Travel in off-peak times: traveling during off-peak and shoulder seasons between autumn and spring is always cheaper than summer.
- Don't be afraid to use a travel agency: some of them have access to great deals and if you are an international traveler for the first time they can take away a bit of pain from the experience.
- Internet Search: There are many fantastic cheap flights websites out there with access to some great packages.
- Security concerns have recently been raised in some regions, particularly in Asia and Africa. When it comes to air travel, the word "cheap" should never apply to security. If an airline cannot compete in the market without reducing the security budget, it should forfeit the right to operate. Be sure to check your airline's safety log.
The girls on their chicken night are screaming at the boys on their bachelor night, the leg room is tight, the landlady is rude and the departure time has come and gone before you went up to board … but after the arrival, while you sit and relax the hot foreign sun on distant shores – without having to break the bank – you'll think about how great cheap flights are.
Cheap flights have changed the world.